Grandpa Quique's 75th Birthday wish is for his whole family to be involved in some form of physical exercise that will improve their health.

We ask each one of you to keep a log of the miles you run (walk or crawl) as you participate so we can add them all up and give them to him as a gift before his race.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I Finally Made It!

This week has been a good one for me. Although I stumbled across some fairly serious challenges, I finally reached my goal. For the past 4 months I have been systematically working on increasing the speed at which I run my intervals. The goal was to be able to run the same speeds I ran back in 2000 when I first started to do interval training. In order to force the issue, I determined to make myself only run on a treadmill until I had reached the intensity I used to run at.

Each week I have added speed to at least one more interval and today I have been able to creep up from where I started, to finally being able to match the runs I did before. I almost didn't make it because Saturday's run (after Friday's leg workout) made my piriformis lock-up and caused me to have some serious back pain all weekend. I decided to stretch a lot and give it try any way. It worked!

Now that I have reached the intensity of the runs, I will allow myself to run outdoors and have nice enjoyable run on Saturdays.

So since we started I have been running 3 miles, three times each week. Now, after a two minute warm up at 5 mph I am running four minutes at 6 mph, four at 7, four at 8, four at 9 and the last minute at 10 mph.

Now that I have done my penitence and reached my goal, I am looking forward to enjoying some outdoor runs. Hello sunshine and fresh air!

No comments:

Post a Comment